Jackfruit Stuffed Coconut Rice Balls
This recipe is inspired by the traditional Sri Lankan dish made from rice and coconut – Kiribath (Sinhala: කිරිබත්). A must try!
- Plant based waxed food wrap
- 2 cups Jasmin or Basmati rice
- 3 cups Thick coconut milk
- 4½ cups Water
- 2 pod cloves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium Finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 350 g Just Veggies Young Jackfruit in Thai Green Curry sauce
- Wash and drain rice then place it in a large saucepan. Add coconut milk, water, cloves and salt to taste. Bring to a boil uncovered, over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer on medium to low heat until the liquid is absorbed and rice is soft and creamy for about 20 to 25 minutes. Remember to stir occasionally.
- Once the rice is soft and sticking together, turn off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the red chilli.
- Using two forks, shred the Jackfruit slightly to give it a shredded texture.
- Add the Jackfruit to the pan with the onions and stir well. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes and then turn off heat.
- Line a small cup with waxed food wrap. Fill the rice mixture onto the waxed food wrap and push against the sides of the bowl to create an even layer. Using a spoon, scoop out some rice and make space in the middle to fill it with the Jackfruit mixture. Turn the cup upside down onto a plate and gently lift off the cup. Repeat with the rest of the rice and Jackfruit.
Tip 1: Waxed food wraps (non-beeswax versions) are a great plant based and reusable alternative to the cling wrap. They are typically made from cotton, plant waxes, tree resin and jojoba oil. Tip 2: The amount of coconut milk and water can vary slightly depending on the type of rice used. If you find the surface of the rice dries up too quickly, then add some extra coconut milk into the rice.